Thursday, May 30, 2013

Emergency Situation Arises

There are always unexpected situations that may arise in any medical treatment area. One can never predict what will happen to every patient throughout the course of a visit. This could not have been more true, or more alarming than one of our first patients during the second half of the day. As I was measuring a patients blood pressure, I heard through my stethoscope,  "Dr. R, Dr. R"!!!! As I looked up, the patient at the intake table immediately to my left began having a seizure. Luckily I was able to drop everything I was doing, rush to the table, and just as the patient was falling backward violently shaking and ready to hit his head on a cement pillar, I was able to grasp his head to protect it from harm. This patient was in a full blown tonic-clonic seizure. With the assistance of 3 students, I was able to transfer this actively seizing patient to a nearby medical bed to protect him from bodily harm. All the signs and symptoms of a seizure you may learn in class, or witness was happening right before our eyes.  This Rigidly stiff, shaking and drooling patient continued this episode for about 1 minute. Having no rapidly acting anti-seizure medications readily available, we stabilized the patient until the episode ceased. The patients post-ictal phase lasted about 30 minutes with him being confused and lethargic. I am pleased to report that the patient recovered fully. Cool heads prevailed under emergency circumstances.
I am proud of my students for having the intelligence to identify the situation, call for help, and stay calm under such a distressing incident!