Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Family Reunion

While participating in the Vietnam Medical Mission 2012,  Chi Tran spoke to us a lot about her family and where she grew up in Vietnam.  She would tell us how different it was growing up in a small village outside DaNang. Her memories were of a very simple lifestyle. She described her way of life and family in great detail. After hearing that Chi has a grandfather who is 104 years old, I said to her, if we are lucky to return on the Medical Mission in the future, I would love to visit her hometown and meet her family, especially her grandfather. 
We traveled to DaNang and into her small village. We were welcomed with open arms and a delicious home cooked traditional Vietnamese dinner. Family attended in bunches, cousins, uncles etc. Upon arrival, I immediately wanted to meet her grandfather. This 104 year old man had a continual smile on his face seeing his granddaughter. He was as sharp and witty as he was strong. And did I mention, he has a 107 year old brother that lives across the road. Talk about about great genes!!! I was touched by the family closeness and intimacy. I think, culturally, having her Thay (Professor) visit family is a cause for celebration. I was very touched by the outpouring of Love, Respect and Values!! Most of you know that Family is the most important thing in my life, and I reflected on how lucky I am to have seen my own family grow and change. Tomorrow will not be like today, and we are never sure how many tomorrows we have, so count your blessings. Seeing Chi's family brought me back to the foundation of family values. I am blessed to have been invited, and now feel like I have an even more extended family. 

Cam on em Chi.